Mobi Groups
Download Free Apps & Games @ PHONEKY.com

BIBLE-STUDIES - Topics
Create Your Own App Store

* BIBLE-STUDIES > Topics

Subject: Reply to The Israel Delusions
Replies: 13 Views: 857

halman 27.03.11 - 02:35pm
elijah2, other Bible translations at Matthew 18:22,render it,'' seventy-times.'' While some put ''seventy times seven'',the Revised Standard Catholic Edition which renders it that way,says in the footnote: 'Or seventy-seven times'. So maybe it's best to say that you believe it to be an allegory of 490 years. *

halman 27.03.11 - 02:36pm
That's ''seventy-seven times'' (typo error) *

elijah_2 27.03.11 - 03:29pm
I don't quite understand what your saying. Because I'm sure I said that the Seventy Times Seven thing was just an allegory. *

halman 28.03.11 - 04:39pm
elijah2,you said that seventy times seven is 490 yes? but other translations plus that footnote say seventy-seven,so that wouldn't be a reference to 490 as it would then be just 77 times. *

elijah_2 28.03.11 - 06:19pm
Well seen that some translations say Seventy Times Seven and others say Seventy Seven which of them do you think probably is the correct translation? *

halman 29.03.11 - 01:36pm
I believe the correct meaning and rendering is 77 times. *

elijah_2 29.03.11 - 08:31pm
But why does these Bible Versions say, Seventy times Seven

(1) KJV, (2) NKJV, (3) NAS, (4) ESV, (5) Amplified Bible, (6) Young's Literal Translation, (7) Webster's Bible Translation, (8) God's Word Translation, (9) Darby Bible Translation, (10) World English Translation, (11) Weymouth New Testament, (12) Bible in Basic English, (13) Douay Bible. And many more could be cited.

As compared to: these Bibles that say, Seventy Seven times

(1) New Word Translation, (2) NIV, (3) ISV, and (4) NET Bible. *

halman 2.04.11 - 07:01pm
Doesn't matter how many render 'seventy times seven'.I mean,many render Sheol, Hades,Ge'enna as 'hell',making it look like a fiery hell which it isn't. You know it's the grave of mankind as I do. Jesus was just making the point of forgiving our brothers much more than a fixed number.But if you believe an allegory then fair enough,it's your belief and I respect your right to have it. *

elijah_2 3.04.11 - 02:38pm
I agree with you 100% that me quoting bible versions that render a passage the way I believe it is to be rendered doesn't prove at all, that it is how the passage or verse is to be rendered. *

elijah_2 11.05.12 - 03:54pm
However, i think the more accurate translation of the verse is Seventy times Seven because of this simple fact.

In the Original Greek the passage is rendered this way,

legei auto ho Iesous Ou lego soi heos heptakis alla heos hebdomkeontakis hepta *

elijah_2 11.05.12 - 04:00pm
Now, hebdomkeontakis means; Seventy times - It Doesn't mean just Seventy *

elijah_2 11.05.12 - 04:58pm
There is a word in the Greek that means just plain Seventy and that word is hebdomekonta

As is translated in other parts of the New Testament,

Luke 10:1 - seventy [hebdomekonta]

verse 17 - Seventy [hebdomekonta]

In Revelation 12:14 the Bible talks about 'a time and times and half a time' - kairon kai kairous kai hemisy kairou

Times is kairous *

elijah_2 11.05.12 - 05:17pm
In Greek if a person wanted to say Seventy times the word would be a combination of the two words: hebdomekonta = Seventy AND kairous = Times - in putting the two together we have hebdomkeontakis = Seventy times. *

elijah_2 11.05.12 - 05:37pm
Likewise, legei auto ho Iesous Ou lego soi heos heptakis alla heos hebdomkeontakis hepta

Seven is the Greek word hepta, and as we have seen before Times is the Greek word kairous - so, if someone wanted to say Seven times it would be a combination of the two words: which would be the word: heptakis as we have see here in the Greek. Therefore; Seventy times Seven is the more accurate translation of the phrase: hebdomkeontakis hepta - hebdomkeontakis = Seventy times AND hepta = Seven. *

* BIBLE-STUDIES Forum

Search:
topics replies

* BIBLE-STUDIES

topTop
groupsGroups
mainProdigits